Contract packager sees competitive advantage in early adoption of serialization
Apace Packaging achieves full serialization from packaging through warehousing and distribution with off-the-shelf software from Optel Vision and ROC IT Solutions.
“When it comes to pharmaceutical serialization, companies at the forefront of planning and implementation are most likely to reap the rewards,” writes Jim Butschli of Healthcare Packaging in the July 2014 issue. “Contract packager Apace Packaging LLC started down the road to serialization not long after opening its doors in 2008, looking to meet California’s e-pedigree goals. Its strategic planning and investment in serialization technology and packaging equipment is about to pay dividends.”
The article in Healthcare Packaging describes how Apace is using its early lead in serialization to achieve DQSA compliance, retain existing business, and help it win new business.
Optel Vision and ROC IT Solutions collaborated to provide a complete serialization solution from the packaging lines through warehousing and distribution. The products are almost entirely off-the-shelf, with little customization other than integration to the Oracle EBS back-end system.
EdgeTRAC™ software for track and trace
Optel Vision provides the line-level serialization and updates the Oracle OPSM EPCIS repository. ROC IT Solutions enables serialized data capture and label management in the warehouse and distribution operation, and also interfaces with Oracle OPSM.
The solution uses the GS1 standard with GTIN to track pallets, cases and bundles.
ROC IT Solutions deployed ROC IT EdgeTRAC™ software on a Linux platform, with Intermec handheld devices to scan barcode labels and Zebra printers to print labels as needed for aggregation and rework.
EdgeTRAC software functions include:
- Receiving. EdgeTRAC software verifies product and quantity against POs and delivery numbers, receives product, and updates the Oracle OPSM serial number master (EPCIS system). It can optionally process the put-away of product and the associated updates to Oracle EBS.
- Picking, Packaging and Shipping. EdgeTRAC software verifies the product, lot and quantity against customer orders and provides real-time notification of exception conditions. It aggregates serialized items and commissions and prints serialized barcode labels for the aggregated parent containers.
- Serial Number Inquiry. Workers scan a serialized tag to display the status of a serial number, the relationships between parent (container) serial numbers and the associated child serial numbers, and the association to customer shipment orders.
Container Management/Rework. EdgeTRAC software aggregates items into cases or totes, combines cases or totes into pallets, commissions and prints serialized barcode labels for the aggregated parent containers, and updates the Oracle OPSM serial number master (EPCIS system).
- Serialized Label Printing. Workers can print, apply and verify serialized GS1, SGTIN and SSCC-compliant labels and tags using handheld printers in the warehouse and distribution center.
Returns. EdgeTRAC software verifies that returned product is eligible to be received or returned, associates a Returns Reason Code with the returned product, and updates the Oracle OPSM serial number master (EPCIS system).
- Deactivation/destruction. EdgeTRAC software decommissions serialized items that have been deemed non-saleable, and updates the Oracle OPSM serial number master (EPCIS system).
Ultimately, the success of this project rested on Apace’s commitment to bring together the correct partners – OptelVision, Oracle and ROC IT Solutions – to collaborate and deliver a full serialization solution from packing line through warehouse. This early adoption of technology is a showcase deployment and demonstrates the capabilities available today for serialization and track and trace in contract packaging and distribution.
- Read the article at Healthcare Packaging
- Contact us today to find out ROC IT serialized data capture and edge processing can help you meet the serialization mandate of the DQSA.
- ROC IT Solutions collaboration with Optel Vision and Oracle (OPSM and EBS)
- Addresses the entire serialization challenge from packaging through warehousing and distribution
- Deployed on Linux server with Intermec handheld scanners and Zebra printers
- Project delivered on time and budget